Sunday, February 27, 2011

Green Day

No, not the singing group.

I had myself a green day today.  After getting up this morning and doing a DVD workout (Hip Hop Abs: Fat Burning Cardio)...

  • I took my little 'green' grocery sacks and walked the half mile to the grocery store.  Here's a tip:  you save double because you truly only buy what you need because you know you have to carry it home somehow on the walk back home.  2 bags = what will fit in 2 bags.  Any time I thought about picking something up, I looked in my basket and thought...hmmm...that wasnt on the list and I don't know that it will fit in the bags...
    • After shopping I did exactly that; walked the 1/2 mile back home, just me and my 2 sacks of groceries
  • Then as I was working yet again today at the Locker, I 'gassed' up the Trek (put air in the tires) and then proceeded to ride my bike to work and back home again.
I am not one of those that go on and on about being 'green' but I do think its very important and I do try small things here and there, but I am beginning to think about more of the 'smaller' things I can do to not only be green but heck, every little penny you save in gas etc., isn't it that just that much more rewarding?

I don't know...I felt pretty good about the 'small' things I did today.  Of course 75deg weather makes doing some things like that just a wee bit easier!

Do you try to be green?  Even in the smallest of ways?  Like what?

6 comments:

Karen Seal said...

Awesome! I love the idea - you are lucky you live so close to a grocery store! :0)

Junie B said...

Yeah there are THREE within a 1/2 mile of me, north, west and south. Whole Foods, Fiesta and Randalls. And soon there will be an HEB right across from Fiesta so that will be 4. Reedonkulous.

Misty said...

I've considered biking to work. But the roads near me are in no way bike/pedestrian friendly. I'd rather pay for gas in my tiny, fuel- efficient Toyota than pay an ER bill!

Junie B said...

I cant ride to my mon-fri job unless i got here early and got ready in our gym. even though its only 2 miles away, the weather here would ruin me for the day makeup and hair wise!!!

Anonymous said...

The weather is lovely this time of year for that type of thing :-)

I wish I lived close enough to anything to walk! I walk to Walgreens sometimes, but I only go there in a pinch usually. It's the only thing I can walk to safely that is somewhat reasonable distance.

I keep reusable bags in my trunk at all times and I recycle at work and at home.

In my last apt, I lived near HEB, so i'd walk with my bags every Sunday to get groceries. I miss that

elf said...

Here they sort of force us to be green. They charge you for bags in the grocery store, so it makes sense to reuse. They recycle eve-ry-thing. And public transportation is riduculously convenient--I just buy a monthly pass that gets me on every train, tram or bus in the city, and they go everywhere. And nearly every street has a bike lane. Green is good here in Germany...

Cheers!