Thursday, March 4, 2010

KW Speed Workout

Wednesdays are going to be tough for a while; getting in 5-6 miles with a speed workout in there, and then coaching PIM.  This just means I have to leave straight from work, head to the park, do speed, eat something, and then be ready for PIM to start at 6:30.

Last night since it was the first night, I had to be done with my workout by 6.  Which I did, so no problem; I felt rushed but now I have a whole extra 15 min since I dont have to be at PIM spot till 6:15.  :o)

Workout was to be 5 miles total w/

  • 4 x 800m at 4:09-4:15
  • 4 x 400m at 2:01-2:03

I dont have my Garmin here with me at work, but I do know that my first 800m was a bust coming in at 4:26.  I did my 1 mile warmup and I could tell already.  I was just flat out exhausted.  My legs felt dead from all the running, hill workout and weights...

I will look at the Garmin tonight, but I know I got better, not worse, but I had to really work at it...By the time I got to the 4th 800m I thought I might collapse.  By this time Coach was there, so I took a bit of a break and spoke to him about a few things I had emailed him about on Monday (more on that in another post)..

My 400's were great.  They always are.  Again, I know my last 400m came in at 1:57.  And I thought I might throw up after that :o)  But I didnt.

I walked about another 400m before I jogged the last 1/4 mile to the PIM spot...but since it was getting cooler out, I had to jog about another 1/2 mile to go back to my car and retrieve a long sleeve shirt.  Needless to say I got my miles in with no problem :o)

Today is to be an easy run day with weights with the trainer (chest and shoulders), but when I woke up this morning, I am calling it an extra day of rest.  I left the gym bag at home; not to say I wont go out and do a few miles when I get home, but I kind of doubt it.  I need a good long (ish) run on Saturday and I have that thing called a half marathon in 9 days up in Dallas, so I need to start thinking about that little task at hand.  Not an easy course by any means so I need to have my wits about me leading up to it...

Question:  How do you know when its time to take a break (even for just one extra itty bitty day) and how do you do it without feeling guilty? 

1 comment:

YorktownRunner said...

If you're tired, more than normal, really sore, or irritable, take a day. If you feel better the next day but not great take a recovery day and run easy.

No one has ever failed to finish a marathon because they missed one or days, but plenty of people have missed a start because than ran one day too many.

Train smart, listen to your body, have fun, we not getting paid for this are we?