Wednesday, March 31, 2010

KW Speed and PIM (and the return of Summer in SE Texas)

Whoa.

Man it got hot quick!  While I was indeed sick of the long, cold winter we had down here, I didnt exactly mean I wanted 'normal'.  :)

I started KW speed just right at about 5pm.  The workout was to be 3x1mile repeats and for me, at 8:19 pace, with 6mr in between each.  Well I already knew that I was gonna suck ass at this so an adjustment was made.  6x800m with 1-2mr in between.  It was still hard and I struggled but my miles came out between 8:26 and 8:38.  Eh, it is what it is.  I'm overtired, underfed and sleep deprived...so in light of that, I am not going to complain about my effort.  I gave it what I had and there was nothing left out there...And I even did push ups on the bench at the 2mile mark during my 'rest'...I also got in a 1/2m warmup and cooldown...then it was on to PIM coaching duties...

My little group was to do 2 miles straight tonight.  I am always in front of our pack with the 'faster' of the runners, but tonight I only had 1 girl with me...she made it through the first mile though struggling towards the end, but I just had her slow waaaaaaaaaaaaay down and she made it.  I gave her a few to rest waiting on the rest of the group at the turnaround, then we started again.  She was struggling and I then told her about 'poles'.  Run a pole, walk a pole.  This worked!  She had more energy and it helped her confidence instead of just steady walking.  Once we hit the 2 mile mark, she and 1 other girl said, lets do one more!  Yay!  Not one more mile, but one more pole.  Eh, baby steps right?  They were very excited and that made me very excited FOR them...New runners are the best I tell ya...They just want to know everything you know...and they ask a lot of questions...so much fun!

Next week, its 3 miles straight, and I have a feeling we're gonna be doing 'poles' again...whatever gets 'em through it right?  My plan is to get them through that first mile just like tonight and THEN do poles...maybe even 2 poles run, 1 pole walk :)

Tomorrow night is first stage of Tour de Bayou!!! 

1 comment:

Mel said...

I'll take the cold back before I take the heat. BLECH! My days of running at 5 pm are numbered. I did fine, but I felt like my lungs were smushed, which not a good feeling.

I need to become a morning person once again. For some reason mornings aren't an issue on the weekends, but during the week, I don't want to get out of bed!