Saturday, March 6, 2010

Kenyan Way - Long Run - 12 miles and an Anxiety Attack...

12 miles today.

Got to base around 5:30 and did a 1 mile warmup before heading out with the group...again ran with the 4:15 group, but it seemed awful light this morning...apparently most of them were doing less miles (or more) than we were, so it was basically just Amber and I along for the ride.  I was definitely glad I took the extra day off of rest as it felt really good this morning...

Right up until just into mile 9 and just past the last water stop on Crestwood...It was just before Blossom where I guess you can only call it an anxiety attack...We had just taken off from the water stop and had begun talking about something and then it was like someone dropped a truck full of bricks on my chest.  I couldnt breathe, couldnt talk; hyperventilating and what Amber called lung spasms (shes a nurse)...it was the scariest thing ever...I cant explain the 'sound' trying to come from me as I struggled to get the words out...it was awful...after bending over as far as I possibly could, it seemed to subside after maybe a few minutes, but then I could feel the tightening up again.  Finally I was able to run again, but then close to Durham, again upon trying to talk about 'the situation', it happened again...not as bad as the first time, but still...I know what triggered it and its obvious to me that when something makes you physically ill (and I am not talking about running), its time to do something differently.  I havent figured out yet what that is, but it has to be something...I've asked for what I 'need' and was refused...anyway, I made it back to base just fine; and I was glad that the guys that stopped to help didnt send out the posse to come and get me :)  That would have pissed me off :)

After getting back to base, we rested for a bit, as I thought I was done; considering...but as Amber was about to take off for one more mile, I sucked it up and did that last mile with her...after getting back, I stuck around talking to SW and KW, and it happened again...

That was my final signal that once and for all...

I still ended up with an average pace of 10:10 on the day, and outside of that 'incident' it was a fabulous morning for a run...

Mile 1: no data; didnt have Garmin on for warm up mile
Mile 2: 10:25
Mile 3: 10:08
Mile 4: 10:14
Mile 5: 10:12
Mile 6: 10:09
Mile 7: 9:54
Mile 8: 9:53
Mile 9: 10:32...here is where I had the issues; took me a minute to hit the stop button :) and of course having to stop and start a few times...
Mile 10:  10:01
Mile 11: 9:52
Mile 12: 10:22 (nice and easy; winding down...)

Rest of the day included tanning on the way home from running, Alice in Wonderland at the movies (EXCELLENT MOVIE!) with BC and then to WFM after that...

24 mile bike ride starting at 7:30 tomorrow morning...It will be an easy week for me with the Dallas RnR coming up next Sunday...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Junie, great training run - in looking at your mile splits you really hit good a good cadence and kept it - evidence in mile 7 - 11. Plus you sucked it up and knocked another one! Well done!!

Do you log miles on DailyMile? I just started this year and back up all data to a Google Doc spreadsheet.

Of finally, I know the love / hate relationsihp I have with my Garmin, auto pause or not, it slipping into satelite mode, grr. ;-)

Junie said...

dave ;o) ... No i dont use anything other just just what i see on that given day on the Garmin training center download to my computer. I havent even been using my garmin except for speed and long runs.

i did have a good rhythm going on saturday; one of my best 'long' runs since marathon training...till the anxiety thing happened, but even then once i could let go of the thoughts behind it, i seemed to be ok. only the stopping at base for so long before that last mile made for some stiffness in mile 12 which sucked...