Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I actually went into work today; even if on very little sleep...

I then managed to do a quick 30 min run and about 45 min of weights before heading back to the hospital.

Update on Mom:  Not really too much has changed in the last 24 hours.  We do know positively that the clearest long term effects of the stroke are her speech, her inability to swallow (brain not sending signals for all parts to move correctly which means that anything, although its just saliva right now, pools up and causes coughing).  The speech PT did a mini-test today to see the initial severity and basically the thinner the consistency the worse it makes it.  And its pretty certain for example, she'll never be able to drink a glass of water.  They did allow her to take 4 bites of a Wendys Frosty (very thick) and that seemed to be better.   They will be doing a more extensive test with different variations (using dyes and an ultrasound/radiation thing) tomorrow.  In addition to that, the neurologist came in while I was there and tomorrow there will be extensive MRI's done, especially on the brain and apparently (unbeknownst to my sister and I), back in October she was diagnosed with a corroded artery in her neck, 'but it was only a 40-50% blockage, so we saw no need for treatment'...well maybe now you will see its necessary...so theres that.

She does have movement with her left side, its just very, very slight and not being able to eat or drink anything at all, the loss of what strength she DID have doesnt make it any better...She cannot however, move her head to the right side hardly at all, but its better than yesterday...

They will also be doing some tests on the heart etc. to make sure there isnt any blockage there as well...

I am going to make my workout tomorrow with KW and with PIM as planned; unless something major comes up tomorrow with Mom.

The race on Saturday, for now, is a wait and see.  I will more than likely still do it; its early in the morning after all.  I was supposed to pinch hit at the nearby specialty running store (Lukes Locker) on Saturday, but I dont see that happening.  More than likely I will just head to the hospital after the race (or long run).  Thankfully this week is a cut back week, so I am really losing anything mileage wise...however with all of this, the recovery of a cut back week isnt really happening...

My nutrition has stayed intact, although I find myself (probably from the stress) wanting things I dont need...like french fries and a hamburger...the worst thing I have had was last night in the hospital where I had a small bag of Chex Mix from the vending machine...do you know there were 33 ingredients in that little bag?

All processed.  That was 'dinner'.

Sigh.

p.s. I have been taking pictures (food) along the way; I now keep my camera in my purse :)  You'll forgive me that I did NOT take a picture of the Chex Mix :o)

6 comments:

Bird said...

Thanks for the update. Katherine and I were wondering how she was today as we drove down close to your apartment.

Please know we are thinking of you and praying for your Mom. It's still early after the stroke. Things can improve over time. We pray they don't take their own sweet time.

Fe-lady said...

Thinking of you and your mom June and praying for her full recovery.

dixie :o) said...

i'm a little worried that we have no posts from you today, but i am refraining from texting b/c i know how it is at hospitals when you're waiting on doctors, tests, results..... so i will be patient. Thinking about you <3

JunieB said...

Dixie: its fine honey...just been really busy...actually have really great news...post later this evening; or tomorrow. :o)

Thanks for being so wonderful.

Heather said...

Sending well wishes your way!

MJ said...

Getting caught up on my blog posts...thanks for the update. You've been in my thoughts.